Local News

Man killed in Wilson house fire

A man died Saturday evening in a fire that started in the kitchen of a home at 4034 Weaver Road in Wilson, firefighters said.
Posted 2012-11-18T21:09:42+00:00 - Updated 2012-11-19T03:25:47+00:00

A man died in a house fire in Wilson Saturday evening, firefighters said.

Authorities have not released the identity of the man whose body firefighters found, but WNCT reported that Ernest Sawrey, 75, died in the fire at 4034 Weaver Road around 7 p.m.

The fire started in the kitchen, but its cause hasn't been determined, authorities said. The house, which doesn't have electricity, was severely damaged. 

Sawrey lived alone and was known for growing peanuts and selling them at the local farmers market, according to WNCT.

Credits