State again lifts burning ban
Posted March 31, 2008 12:13 p.m. EDT
Updated April 30, 2008 6:03 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — The state Division of Forest Resources on Monday lifted its ban on open burning across North Carolina.
The ban, which was put in place last Thursday, was canceled because weekend rains diminished the threat of wildfires, officials said.
Residents should continue to be careful if they decide to burn pine straw, leaves and other yard debris, officials said, noting high winds and quickly drying debris can create hazardous burning conditions.
North Carolina has had an above average number of wildfires this year, with more than 1,980 fires burning 20,453 acres.
The state decision covers areas that are more than 100 feet from an occupied dwelling. Local rules may be different for the area within 100 feet. Local and county fire marshals determine those rules.
The state imposed a burning ban on Oct. 15 and lifted it on Jan. 2. It reimposed the ban Feb. 13 after a spate of wildfires. It lifted the ban on Feb. 29, then reimposed it last week.