Some McDougald Terrace residents not sure if they'll return to their homes on Friday
Posted February 13, 2020 11:19 p.m. EST
Durham, N.C. — Friday, residents of McDougald Terrace are set to go home after more than a month in hotels. They were placed there after carbon monoxide concerns forced them out of their apartments.
However, some families are finding out their homes are not ready and they feel they not safe yet, either.
"They haven’t said anything to me," said Precious Puryear about whether she'll be able to return home.
Puryear is one of hundreds still out of their McDougald Terrace apartment due to the carbon monoxide scare.
"It’s unsafe, I live right by the gas man. My son has asthma," Puryear said.
The evacuated families are living at hotels paid for by the Durham Housing Authority. A resident let us inside her hotel room to show you what its like living here. She recently checked on the status of her unit at McDougald and was shocked by what she saw.
"My stuff is everywhere," said a resident, who didn't give us her name. "The cabinets are open, my clothes are thrown everywhere."
We texted and called the Housing Authority management Thursday night but no one responded to our request for more information.
"The walls are cracking, the ceiling is cracking, floor is a mess, the bathroom is a mess," Puryear said.
And that summary mirrors others.
"I went over there a couple of days ago and I had a hole in my ceiling and in my kitchen, the stove had been moved, some of my things have been moved around like they’ve been looking through things and the ceiling is cracking," Puryear said.