Local News

Sheriff: Franklin County man decapitated mother

An 18-year-old in Franklin County has been charged with first-degree murder after authorities said he decapitated his mother Monday afternoon.

Posted Updated

ZEBULON, N.C. — An 18-year-old Franklin County man has been charged with first-degree murder after authorities said he decapitated his mother Monday afternoon.

Authorities were called to a home at 90 Morgan Drive in Zebulon around 12:45 p.m. after Oliver Mauricio Funes Machada called 911.

Authorities said that Funes Machada had decapitated his mother, Yesenia Funez Beatriz Machado, 35, with what appeared to be a large butcher knife and walked out of the home holding her head in one hand and the weapon in another when deputies arrived at the home.

"When they arrived, he was with the decapitation in his hand and it was a gruesome scene," said Sheriff Kent Winstead.

Deputies said Funes Machada placed the head on the ground and was taken into custody. The body was found inside the home.

Funes Machada was charged with first-degree murder and was jailed under no bond.

“There is a victim that is now dead and there’s a grieving and anytime that’s the case, its horrific for that family and, as you can see, for the entire neighborhood and thus this office will do everything it can to ensure justice is served through a thorough investigation,” said Terry Wright with the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office.

Authorities said it is unknown how many times Machado was stabbed.

Winstead said two young kids were in the home at the time of the incident but they appeared uninjured. Machado has another son who was at school at the time of the incident, authorities said.

"I can't imagine how anyone could do that to anybody, much less your own mother," said neighbor Randy Mullins.

Mullins said he drove by the scene shortly after the deputy arrived and said he can't forget the look on the officer's face.

"I saw what happened and it was unbelievable," Mullins said. "He just looked like he was just blown away. I mean, he was just in terror, he was so upset."

Pictures or video could become part of the investigation because Winstead said body cameras worn by deputies may have been recording when Funes Machada came out of the home.


Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.