Serial bank robber strikes again
Posted October 14, 2010 2:05 p.m. EDT
Updated October 15, 2010 9:44 a.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — A man dubbed the "Repeat Robber" attempted to rob the BB&T Bank, 4424 Capital Blvd. in Raleigh, on Monday afternoon, the FBI said.
The suspect produced a note demanding money and left with an undisclosed amount of money. No one was harmed, authorities said.
Police are investigating a car that crashed into a home not far from the bank robbery. A suspect was detained, but police are not sure there is any connection.
Authorities said that including Monday's robbery, the Repeat Robber has robbed 11 banks throughout Raleigh, Durham, Cary Chapel Hill and Zebulon. Ten of those robberies have occurred in the past 21 days.
- Wachovia Bank at 1701 N. Harrison Ave. in Cary on Oct. 8
- First Citizens Bank, 101 Wakelon St. in Zebulon on Oct. 8
- BB&T at 143 E. Rosemary St. in Chapel Hill on Oct. 5
- SunTrust Bank inside Kroger at 7905 Falls of Neuse Road in Raleigh on Oct. 2
- SunTrust bank inside Kroger at 8345 Creedmoor Road in Raleigh on Sept. 29
- SunTrust Bank at 3421 N. Roxboro Road in Durham on Sept. 28
- Wood Forest Bank inside Walmart at 10500 Glenwood Ave. in Raleigh on Sept. 26
- SunTrust Bank inside Harris Teeter at 1817 Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway in Durham on Sept. 25
- SunTrust Bank at 1231 University Drive in Durham on Sept. 24
- SunTrust Bank inside Kroger at 7905 Falls of Neuse Road in Raleigh on Aug. 10, 2009
In each case, the suspect had a beard, mustache and was wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap. In many of them, he used a note to demand money.
In none of the robberies have there been reports of a weapon being displayed or anyone getting hurt.
Authorities have not linked the Repeat Robber to a robbery at the RBC Bank at 2414 Wycliff Road, which occurred around 11:15 a.m. on Monday.
The North Carolina Bankers Association is offering a reward for information leading to the arrest and indictment of anyone responsible for robbing a bank in North Carolina.
It asks that anyone with information about any of the bank robberies to contact the FBI at 800-209-2293.
Locations robbed by the Repeat Robber