Local News

Senior citizen taken to hospital after blanket starts house fire

Posted October 12, 2020 7:45 a.m. EDT
Updated October 12, 2020 5:15 p.m. EDT

Crime scene tape around fire hydrant

— A senior woman was taken to the hospital Monday after a blanket caught fire in her home.

Before 6:30 a.m., firefighters with the Durham Fire Department responded to the home on Little Spring Lane, where smoke was coming from the front door.

Firefighters controlled the fire in several minutes and reported minor smoke and fire damage in the home.

The resident was transported to a local hospital for smoke inhalation.

Investigators said a fire in the fireplace caught a blanket on fire, and the flames spread from there.

Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.