Security heightened at Northampton school after threats
Posted January 15, 2013 12:11 p.m. EST
Updated January 15, 2013 12:21 p.m. EST
Conway, N.C. — Extra security was in place Tuesday at Northampton County High School in Conway after authorities received threats overnight.
Eric Bracy, superintendent for Northampton County Schools, said the school system added three school resource officers and that the Northampton County Sheriff's Office assigned deputies to the school as a safety precaution.
Maj. Daryl Harmon, with the Northampton County Sheriff's Office, would not say what kind of threats prompted the extra security measures.
He said that investigators searched the school and found nothing to substantiate the threats.
Earlier reports indicated that the school had been on lockdown, but Bracy said that was not the case.
Security has been heightened at schools in North Carolina and across the country after 20 first-graders and six school staff were killed in a mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.