Second Man Arrested in Fatal Home Invasion
Posted September 4, 2007 3:31 p.m. EDT
Dudley, N.C. — A second man was arrested Tuesday in connection with a home invasion last week in which a Wayne County homeowner shot an killed an intruder, authorities said.
James Christopher Smith, 17, of 150 Southern Plaza Drive in Dudley, was charged with first-degree burglary and two counts of kidnapping.
Three armed men broke into the home at 2546 Old Mount Olive Highway early Friday and held two adults and four young children at gunpoint while they ransacked the house, authorities said.
During the robbery, one of the suspects fired a shot, prompting the man who lives in the house to grab a gun and shoot back, authorities said.
Antione Logan Chestnut, 19, of 109 Evelyn Circle in Dudley, was pronounced dead at the scene. He had been shot several times, authorities said.
Kayloe Lemont Middleton, 25, of 1530 Indian Springs Road in Mount Olive, was charged Friday with first-degree burglary and first-degree kidnapping in the case.
The case remains under investigation, and more arrests are expected, authorities said.