National News

Second hidden camera found inside Alpharetta Starbucks bathroom

Posted May 4, 2018 9:50 a.m. EDT

— Alpharetta police found another hidden camera inside of the bathroom of Starbucks on Old Milton Parkway on Thursday.

Police received a report of a video recording device after an employee found it in the bathroom.

This is the second recording device found in the Starbucks on Old Milton Parkway. A woman said she noticed the small camera while using the restroom in April. The camera was located under a baby changing station located directly in front of the toilet seat, according to the police report.

As we broke the news to 17-year-old Cambridge High School student Miranda Salgado, she became visibly upset and started to shake because she believes she may have been recorded.

"That's such an invasion of privacy," said Salgado. "I can't even believe that they did that."

Police tell us they are still reviewing the footage they recovered Thursday. A Starbucks employee was recorded going to the bathroom. Police say she's the one who spotted the camera.

In the last incident, it was a customer who ended up calling 911.

"We are not sure if this is the same person or a copycat," said Officer Howard Miller with the Alpharetta Police Department.

Miller says investigators are doing everything they can to track down the perverted perpetrator, or perpetrators, but says for now everyone should be on heightened alert.

"Any time that someone uses the public restroom…probably do a quick look around to make sure there are no suspicious devices," said Officer Miller.

We spoke with a Starbucks rep over the phone to ask how this could possibly happen twice. She said they were checking the bathrooms every 10 minutes before the camera was found, and say the camera could not have been there very long.

The spokesperson released the following statement to CBS46 after the incident, which reads, in part:

"Since the original incident, we've increased the rate of bathroom checks to prevent any foul play. Our partners (employees) moved swiftly once they found the device and called law enforcement. Any further questions should be directed to law enforcement."