Schools set kindergarten registration dates
Posted February 2, 2011 8:15 p.m. EST
Updated February 14, 2011 8:50 p.m. EST
To all those parents of rising kindergartners out there, I was in your shoes a year ago - a little excited, a little anxious. OK, a whole lot anxious.
I'm happy to report that, a year later, my older daughter loves kindergarten and we're loving it too.
With that said, if you have a rising kindergartner in your house, schools in the region are beginning to accept kindergarten registrations. Here are the dates for some of the school districts in our region.
- Registration begins Feb. 3 in Wake County. If you plan on applying for a magnet school, you must register at your base before you can do that. See my earlier post for more on the magnet program.
- It begins March 7 for magnet and year round elementary schools and March 14 for traditional elementary schools in Durham County. A kindergarten welcome session is scheduled for March 1.
- Registration for Hillsborough Elementary School in Orange County is Jan. 18 to 5 p.m. Feb. 25.
- The Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools are accepting registrations for the next school year now.
- Kindergarten registration in Johnston County begins March 24, but can vary from school to school. Check your individual school for details.
- Lee County registration is from March 1 to March 25.
- Beginners' Day in Cumberland County schools is April 21. Current kindergartners have the day off so parents and their rising kindergartners can participate in activities at the schools and parents can register their children for kindergarten. Contact your school to find out what time it will start and what the schedule is. Each school is different.
- Registration is April 4 to April 15 for Chatham County schools. More information will be on the district's website as it gets closer to April.
- Registration begins April 1 in Franklin County. Check the website for the registration day for your school.
I have some calls and emails in to other school districts and will update this post when I hear back. Also, check the box above for two posts I wrote last year on kindergarten readiness.