SC teen says he wanted to join Islamic State
Posted April 21, 2015 5:40 p.m. EDT
Updated April 21, 2015 7:53 p.m. EDT
York, S.C. — A 16-year-old South Carolina boy admitted in court Tuesday that he wanted to join the terror group Islamic State, according to Charlotte television station WSOC.
The teen, whose parents are from Syria, told the FBI he was seduced by Islamic extremists. He is charged with possession of a firearm by a juvenile.
According to WSOC, the boy was communicating with a man named Mohammed in Raleigh. Investigators said the two planned to rob a gun store and then attack soldiers at an undisclosed military installation in North Carolina.
Police in South Carolina say they were tipped to the plans in February and brought in the FBI to investigate.
So far, federal authorities are not saying anything about the validity of case or any further arrests or charges.
WSOC reports the teenager is now in juvenile detention on the weapons charge in York County.