Local News

Rocky Mount shopping center reopens after chemical scare

Firefighters arrived just after 7:30 p.m. to find a haze of smoke and a pungent odor inside VIP Cleaners.

Posted Updated

ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. — The release of a dry cleaning agent brought Rocky Mount firefighters to the Wellongate Center on Sunset Avenue on Tuesday night.

Firefighters arrived just after 7:30 p.m. to find a haze of smoke and a pungent odor inside VIP Cleaners. They evacuated nearby businesses and ventilated the building.

The air was clear by 11 p.m.

Four firefighters and 10 employees of a pizza parlor were taken to Nash General Hospital to be treated after they inhaled fumes. All had been released from the hospital by midday Wednesday.

The shops at Wellongate opened for business as usual Wednesday.

More On This

Copyright 2024 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.