Residents of Smithfield boiling water
Posted June 30, 2010 5:58 p.m. EDT
Updated July 1, 2010 10:32 a.m. EDT
Smithfield, N.C. — An order to boil water before consumption was made mandatory Wednesday in Smithfield after tests of water samples detected the presence of fecal coliform bacteria (E. coli), officials said.
Residents should boil all water used for human consumption, such as drinking, cooking, brushing teeth, making ice and washing hands. Boiling water for at least one minute should kill the bacteria.
Because of the order, many restaurants in the town were closed Wednesday evening. The order remains in effect until further notice.
The Smithfield's Chicken ‘N Bar-B-Q restaurant at 924 N. Brightleaf Blvd. was closed to diners Thursday, but employees were offering free bottles of water while supplies last. The offer is limited to two bottles per person.
The town expects to have an update on the water quality no later than 5 p.m. Thursday.