Recipe: New oyster casserole
Posted November 13, 2019 12:07 p.m. EST
Updated November 13, 2019 12:10 p.m. EST
Raleigh, N.C. — Chef Jason Smith from Cantina 18 in Raleigh shares one of his favorite holiday oyster recipes.
- 4 dozen North Carolina oysters, shucked and drained well
- 3 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 1-½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Dash of Texas Pete
- 3 tbsp fresh oregano (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg 1 tbsp kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread Breadcrumbs on a shallow baking sheet and toast until golden brown.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, milk, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and Texas Pete.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in oysters and breadcrumbs.
- Pour into a buttered shallow casserole dish.
- Bake about 20 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.