Recipe: Easy, perfect snow cream
Posted January 4, 2018 9:39 a.m. EST
Updated January 18, 2018 6:41 p.m. EST
Here in Raleigh, I hear it all the time -- "I've never tried snow cream."
As someone who puts a bowl out as soon as I see snowflakes, I am always shocked to hear that so many people have never experienced this wintry tradition. Making snow cream is fun and easy, and it tastes delicious -- like vanilla ice cream, but much lighter.
If you are reading this but didn't put a bowl out to collect snow, don't worry -- it's not too late.
This is the easiest, tastiest way to make snow cream. Just do it soon, before it melts.
Recipe: Snow Cream
- 2-3 large bowls of fresh, clean snow
- 1 can of Eagle Brand (or any store brand) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Collect a couple large bowls of clean snow by gently brushing powder off the tops of cars, porch furniture, steps, etc. Be careful not to scrape the surface itself.
- Pour canned milk in a bowl and whisk in vanilla.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the big bowls of snow, stirring as you go, until you reach the desired texture. You will use much more snow than milk.
- Grab a spoon and enjoy right away!