Local News

Raleigh police chief approached protesters with hands raised, joined discussion

Posted June 3, 2020 11:57 p.m. EDT
Updated June 4, 2020 4:37 a.m. EDT

— Wednesday was another busy day of protests in Raleigh as many gathered throughout the day. It's the protesters that marched after the city's 8 p.m. curfew that caught the attention of the city's police chief the most.

Wednesday's protests were mostly peaceful. However, there were a large number of people still out after the city's curfew went into place.

Cassandra Deck-Brown, the Raleigh police chief, came to talk with protesters and gave them a bit of an extension, until 9:45 p.m., to finish their protest before agreeing to leave for the night.

Tensions were definitely high as protesters gathered around the police chief at Edenton and Wilmington streets. Protesters told WRAL they were stopped by the police shortly after eight for breaking the citywide curfew.

Dozens of the protesters surrounded Deck-Brown as she spoke, questioning why they couldn't continue peacefully protesting.

Many wanted to get the message out that this group only wanted their voices heard. They reiterated that they are different from the looters and rioters the city has seen destroy businesses across downtown Raleigh.

According to a press release issued by the Raleigh Police Department, Deck-Brown approached the group with her hands raised to symbol peace and assured the crowd that she, too, was outraged about the death of Floyd and that she respected the reason they were protesting.

"Although the conversation seemed tense at some moments, it was clear that the sentiments expressed by the protestors and the chief during the exchange were heartfelt," the release read. "The chief quietly listened and patiently answered their questions, encouraging them to voice their concerns in a constructive manner."

After more than 30 minutes, the chief made a compromise with the group of protesters, allowing them to continue protesting after curfew.

After given the green light to continue protesting, the group lapped the Capitol building twice then, right before 9:45 p.m., they gathered together and chanted before leaving as promised.

Many said they planned to be back out Thursday night.

Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.