Go Ask Mom
Raleigh nature programs include Valentine craft, bird count this month
Explore Raleigh's parks and the creatures that live in them at these nature programs for kids and families.Posted — Updated
By Sarah Lindenfeld Hall
Raleigh's parks department offers some great nature programs every month. Thought I'd share a few on tap for this month. Please note that registration is required for each of them.
The programs are:
- Valentines from Nature at Durant Nature Park, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Feb. 12. Go on a short nature walk to collect items to use for a Valentine craft (weather permitting). For kids ages 3 to 5. It's $5 per person. Parents must accompany their child. Pre-registration is required four days before the event. For more information, contact Jeri or Karen at Durant Nature Park, 919-870-2871.
- Great Backyard Bird Count at Durant Nature Park, 10:30 a.m. to noon, Feb. 19. People of all ages and birding abilities will join together during this four-day weekend to count birds and submit their data, which is used by scientists and bird experts. At Durant Nature Park, participants will count birds at the north Raleigh park and then learn how to count birds in their own backyard. For ages 4 and up. Free. Pre-registration is required four days before the event. Contact Jeri or Karen at Durant Nature Park at 919-870-2871 for details.
- School’s Out - Meet the Animals! at Lake Lynn Community Center, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., Feb. 21 (when school is out). Kids ages 5 to 12 will meet some animals up close, such as snakes, lizards and insects, and learn about the ones living in the park. It's $3 for each participant. Pre-register four days in advance. Call Raleigh's nature programs at 919-831-6640 for details.
- Little Nature Hikers at Sertoma Arts Center, 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m., Feb. 23. A guided walk for families with children ages 2 to 5. Strollers are welcome. Fee is $2. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Pre-register four days in advance. Call Raleigh's nature programs at 919-831-6640 for details.
- Birding for Preschoolers at Laurel Hills Community Center, 10 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. March 1. Basic backyard birds is the focus. For ages 3 to 5. Fee is $3 for each participant. Pre-register four days in advance. Call Raleigh's nature programs at 919-831-6640 for details.
Check Raleigh's nature programs website for more details on what they offer (including birthday parties).
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.