Rabies Notice Issued for Garner
Posted July 16, 2007 10:03 p.m. EDT
Garner, N.C. — Local health officials issued a rabies notice for the Rand Road area in Garner Monday.
Authorities issued the notice after confirming that a racoon who attacked two dogs had rabies.
"We don't want to alarm residents in Garner, but they should be aware of this case and of the potential for exposure to themselves, family members and their pets," said Gibbie Harris, Wake County Community Health director, in a statement.
If the dogs had not been vaccinated, they would have been required to be euthanized or quarantined for six months, said Harris.
The notice applies to the stretch of Rand Road between Ten-Ten Road and Route 50.
Officials urged anyone who had been scratched or bitten by an animal in the area to thoroughly clean the wound with soap and warm water and to contact their physician or Wake County Community Health immediately.
"In recent years, there has been a significant increase in the number of animals found to have rabies in North Carolina. Current vaccination of cats and dogs provides significant protection for humans from this fatal disease, and it's the law," said Andre Pierce, director of Environmental Health and Safety for Wake County.
Wake County Animal Control officials recommended that people in the Rand Road area:
- Not approach wildlife, especially during the daytime.
- Ensure their pet has a current rabies vaccination. Get a booster vaccine for outdoor pets, and keep pets inside until they have the booster vaccine.
- Not leave trash or food outside unless in a trash can with a tight-fitting lid.
- Not leave pet food out overnight.
- Not leave pets outdoors unattended.
- Contact your veterinarian immediately if pet comes in contact with an animal that might be rabid.
Wake County Community Health can be reached at 919-250-4462 or 919-839-3059.
To report animal complaints and stray animals, call
- In Wake County (except Cary, Garner, Holly Springs and Raleigh) 919-212-PETS (7387)
- In Cary 919-319-4517
- In Garner 919-772-8896
- In Holly Springs 919-557-9111
- In Raleigh 919-831-6311