Local News

Rabies case reported in Apex

Posted February 27, 2009 11:00 a.m. EST
Updated February 27, 2009 11:08 a.m. EST

 Ashley Bowman, a Forsyth county resident is looking for a new kidney after numerous life setbacks. Bowman is on the transplant list and in full-time dialysis. Despite what she's facing, she was determined to fulfill her dream.

— Wake County health officials issued a rabies notice on Friday for people near the intersection of U.S. Highway 64 and Laura Duncan Road in Apex.

Officials confirmed a case of a raccoon with rabies.

"Animal Control officers are concerned about possible exposure of unvaccinated animals in the area," according to Wake County's news release. "Any one who sees an animal acting in an unusual manner is urged to call Wake County Animal Control at 919-856-6911."

Michael Williams, Wake County's animal control director, said he doesn't want to alarm residents. However, they should be aware of the case and "the potential for exposure to themselves, family members and their pets," he said.

Whenever people are bitten or scratched by an unknown animal, they should thoroughly clean the wound with soap and warm water and contact their physicians or Wake County Community Health immediately. The daytime phone number for Wake County Community Health is 919-250-4462; the after-hours number is 919-839-3059.

Wake County Animal Control officials urge the following:

  • Residents should not approach wildlife, especially during the daytime.
  • Residents should ensure their pets have current rabies vaccinations.
  • If a pet is allowed outside, a booster vaccine is recommended within three days. Outdoor pets should be kept inside until they receive booster vaccines.
  • Do not leave trash or food outside unless in a trash can with a tight-fitting lid.
  • If a pet is fed outside, do not leave food out overnight.
  • Do not leave pets outdoors unattended.
  • If your pet comes in contact with an animal that might be rabid, contact your veterinarian immediately.

To report animal complaints and stray animals:

  • In Wake County (except Cary, Garner, Holly Springs and Raleigh), call 919-212-PETS (7387)
  • In Cary, call 919-319-4517
  • In Garner, call 919-772-8896
  • In Holly Springs, call 919-557-9111
  • In Raleigh, call 919-831-6311

More information on rabies can be found online through the N.C. Division of Public Health and the National Center for Infectious Diseases .