Local News

Rabies Case Confirmed in Garner

Posted October 31, 2007 3:57 p.m. EDT
Updated October 31, 2007 8:51 p.m. EDT

— Garner health officials issued a rabies notice Wednesday for residents and visitors in the vicinity of Middleton Road near the intersection of Rand Road and Benson Road.

A case of rabies was confirmed Wednesday in a raccoon, and a dog was exposed to the virus, officials said. The dog had been vaccinated against rabies. Had the dog not been current with its vaccination, it would have been required to be quarantined for six months or perhaps euthanized, officials said.

"We don't want to alarm residents in Garner, but they should be aware of this case and of the potential for exposure to themselves, family members and their pets," said Gibbie Harris, Wake County community health director.

Whenever people are bitten or scratched by an unknown animal, they should thoroughly clean the wound with soap and warm water and contact their physician or Wake County Community Health immediately.

The daytime phone number for Wake County Community Health is 919-250-4462; the after-hours number is 919-839-3059.

Wake County Animal Control officials urge the following:

  • Residents should not approach wildlife, especially during the daytime.
  • Residents should ensure their pet has a current rabies vaccination. If a pet is allowed outside, a booster vaccine is recommended. Outdoor pets should be kept inside until they receive booster vaccines.
  • Do not leave trash or food outside unless in a trash can with a tight-fitting lid.
  • If a pet is fed outside, do not leave food out overnight.
  • Do not leave pets outdoors unattended.
  • If your pet comes in contact with an animal that might be rabid, contact your veterinarian immediately

"In recent years, there has been a significant increase in the number of animals found to have rabies in North Carolina. Current vaccination of cats and dogs provides significant protection for humans from this fatal disease, and it's the law," said Andre Pierce, director of Environmental Health and Safety for Wake County.

To report animal complaints and stray animals:

  • In Wake County (except Cary, Garner, Holly Springs and Raleigh), call 919-212-PETS (7387)
  • In Cary, call 919-319-4517
  • In Garner, call 919-772-8896
  • In Holly Springs, call 919-557-9111
  • In Raleigh, call 919-831-6311