Rabid cat bites 2 people in Apex
Posted May 22, 2018 10:14 a.m. EDT
Updated July 13, 2018 11:13 a.m. EDT
Apex, N.C. — Two people are recovering after a rabid cat bit them on Wednesday.
According to the Wake County Communications Office, the cat was found near Olive Chapel Road and New Hill Olive Chapel Road.
Officials say Wake County Animal Control officers captured the cat and took it to the North Carolina State Laboratory for Public Health, where it tested positive for rabies.
The residents bitten by the cat are currently being treated with preventive care.
Wake County advises residents to never handle wildlife or stray animals. Instead, they are encouraged to call Animal Control at 919-856-6911.
With summer approaching, officials are reminding the public that the chances of encountering animals that can transmit rabies increase as the temperatures warm. Tips to prevent the spread of rabies include:
- When pets are outside, keep them in a fenced-in area or on a leash
- Do not leave food outside for pets, because it will also attract wildlife.
- If you see a wild or unfamiliar animal, do not approach it.
- Animals showing signs of rabies should be reported to local animal control as soon as possible.
- Infected bats can also spread rabies. If you find a bat in a living space of your home, call animal control. Do not let the bat out of your house.
How to know if your pet has rabies
According to Animal Control officials, if a wild animal showing signs of rabies bites your pet or draws blood, the pet is at risk for exposure to rabies. Pets that have had a rabies vaccine need to get a booster shot within 72 hours of the bite.
The Wake County Animal Center holds rabies clinics throughout the county, providing vaccines for only $5. Owners unsure of their pet’s vaccination status should contact their veterinarian.
Numbers to know
Wake officials provided the following numbers residents can call to report complaints or stray animals:
- In Cary: 919-319-4517;
- In Garner: 919-772-8810;
- In Holly Springs: 919-557-9111; and
- In Raleigh: 919-831-6311.
- All other Wake communities: 919-856-6911