Local News

Police investigate the death of 9-month-old baby

Posted January 15, 2020 5:24 p.m. EST

Officials confirmed Bri died early Monday after officers responded to a 911 call from a home at 362 E. Main St. around 12:15 a.m. Photo from Brittany Franklin, Bri's mother.

— Police are investigating the death of a Franklin County 9-month-old girl.

Brittany Franklin had gone to work Sunday afternoon, leaving 9-month-old Brianna, called Bri, with her dad.

After she came home from work, the baby's father, Shaun Branch, says he went in to check on Bri before the couple went to bed.

The baby wasn't breathing.

"She had some color. But she was fading out, and when I found her, she had just thrown up in her mouth,” said Branch.

Both parents say she was a healthy child and are at a loss to explain what happened.

Branch said he was home with Bri and her 2-year-old sister, Bella, while their mother, Franklin, was at work.

He says he left the two girls at home with Brittany's mom and younger brothers while he went to pick her up from her job.

Once they returned, he says he checked on Bri, and that's when he noticed she wasn't breathing. He says he then did chest compressions.

Franklin called 911 and says she also tried CPR.

“Her father brought her to me, and I tried to save her until they got here. And then I followed her to the hospital, and that’s when they told me she didn’t make it,” said Franklin.

Officials confirmed that Bri died early Monday. Officers responded to the call from a home at 362 East Main Street around 12:15 a.m.

She was transported to WakeMed Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

“I would have done anything for her. If I had to give her my heart, I would have done that,” said Branch.

“She was perfectly healthy, and she was perfectly fine when I went to work that morning. And I didn’t even get to say goodbye,” said Franklin.

The father says for now, he won't be living in his house.

“I can’t stay here right now. It’s too fresh. It’s just an open wound right now,” said Branch.

He said Bri meant "everything" to him and that she was his best friend.

“I would have done anything for her. If I had to give her my heart, I would have done that,” said Branch.

According to the incident report, the baby's cause of death was recorded as cardiac arrest.

Youngsville police say they're awaiting autopsy results and a toxicology report to determine how she died.

Police Chief Greg Whitley said they likely won't have the report until the end of the week.

"The loss of any life -- let alone one so new to this world -- is tragic,” said Whitley in a statement.

Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.