Local News

Police: Driver might have been texting before crash

Posted May 15, 2009 11:49 a.m. EDT

— Police are searching the cell phone records of a 17-year-old driver to determine whether he was sending a text message before a wreck last week.

Andrew Wayne Miles, of 11804 Appaloosa Run, was northbound on Leesville Road on the afternoon of May 5 when he lost control of  his 2003 Mazda in the curve where Leesville meets Strickland Road, police said. The Mazda hit a guardrail off the right side of the road and spun around as it traveled back across four lanes of traffic before slamming into a 1988 Mitsubishi driven by John Gable Lantz, police said.

The Mitsubishi flipped up, hit a guardrail and rolled onto its side, police said. Lantz, 70, of Durham, was seriously injured in the wreck, police said.

Miles hasn't been charged in the wreck, although an officer noted in the accident report that he was speeding at the time.

Wake County District Judge Craig Croom issued a search warrant for police to search Miles' Verizon Wireless cell phone records after police said they believed he might have been talking or texting on the phone before the wreck.

State law forbids teen drivers from talking on cell phones while driving, and lawmakers are considering a proposal to ban anyone from texting while driving.