Police arrest suspect in two slayings, nine robberies
Posted October 25, 2008 6:36 a.m. EDT
Updated October 27, 2008 10:58 a.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — Raleigh police arrested a man Friday morning who they believe committed a string of nine robberies and two murders.
Officers from multiple units surrounded a house at 6037 Big Sandy Drive around 6:20 a.m. and arrested Armond Devega, 27.
Devega faces two charges of murder, one of attempted murder and nine of robbery.
Investigators said that Devega shot Anthony Dwayne Scarborough, 32, at 508 Tartan Circle on the night of Feb. 13.
Police have also called Devega a suspect in the death of Stephanie Powell Anderson, 39, inside the Wilco-Hess at 1741 Trawick Road. Anderson was shot to death as she opened the store early April 10.
Anderson’s sister said Saturday she was thankful to hear Devega is in jail.
“I just said, 'God is good.' We’ve been waiting for this day, every since her murder, and we're glad this person is off the streets,” Lachanda Powell said.
The attempted murder charge stems from the shooting of a clerk, Modesta Fernandez-Lucas, 25, at the Mexico Lindo check-cashing business Sept. 10. Fernandez-Lucas was shot multiple times but survived.
The string of robberies in which Devega is charged began Jan. 23 and ended with the Sept. 10 robbery of Mexico Lindo.
Devega has been charged with committing the following crimes:
- Jan. 23 robbery of Subway store, 10450 Durant Road
- Feb. 1 robbery of Wilco-Hess, 7413 Louisburg Road
- Feb. 13 robbery of Wilco-Hess, 7413 Louisburg Road
- Feb. 13 murder of Anthony Dwayne Scarborough at 508 Tartan Circle
- April 5 robbery of Subway, 6320 Capital Blvd.
- April 10 robbery of Wilco-Hess, 1741 Trawick Road, and murder of Stephanie Powell Anderson
- May 7 shots fired during robbery of Subway store, 5410 Six Forks Road
- May 24 robbery of Capital Food Mart, 2929 Capital Blvd.
- June 6 robbery of Bojangles', 10610 Durant Road
- Sept. 10 robbery of Mexico Lindo, 4010 Wake Forest Road and attempted murder of Modesta Fernandez-Lucas
Devega had been denied bail and was being held in the Wake County Jail Saturday morning. His first court date was set for Monday, Oct. 27.
Devega was convicted of committing two armed robberies in New Hanover County during the week of Christmas in 1999, according to state Department of Correction records. He was released from prison in 2005 after serving five years.
Neighbors said that Devega lived in a house owned by his parents. They described his mother and father as very nice and were surprised to hear about the crimes their son is accused of.
“The parents were really nice. They’d wave and say, 'Hi.' And you would see them outside every once in awhile,” neighbor Marc Holbach said.
Police would not comment on case Saturday, saying the investigation was ongoing.
Before the capture of Devega, Raleigh Police spokesman Jim Sughrue described the robbery suspect as "extremely dangerous" and likely to strike again. Police said he likely cased businesses in advance and looked for women working alone at opening or closing time.
“He’s very dangerous, as dangerous as they get. He’s violent. He’s swift. He’s cold. He’s a killer,” Raleigh Police Sgt. Kevin Carswell said, when describing the suspect in late September.
Detectives from the Raleigh police's Major Crimes Task Force continued to investigate the cases and asked the public to share any information about the crimes.
Police have set up a 24-hour tip line 919-227-6620. Crime Stoppers is also taking calls at 919-226-CRIME.