Local News

Polenta Elementary mobile unit catches fire in Johnston County

Posted January 22, 2021 10:54 p.m. EST
Updated January 22, 2021 11:06 p.m. EST

Fire crews are on the scene after a mobile classroom unit caught fire Friday night at Polenta Elementary School in Johnston County.

According to investigators, the unit caught fire at 7:31 p.m. due to an electrical issue in the HVAC unit’s heat strips. The fire department was able to contain the fire from spreading, gaining control of it only 16 minutes later, but the structure is a total loss.

The fire was ruled accidental and there were no injuries. 

Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.