Local News

Owners trying to rebuild after fire erupts in Apex golf shop that had no smoke detectors

Posted November 4, 2018 4:59 p.m. EST
Updated November 4, 2018 6:18 p.m. EST

— An Apex business owner is desperate to rebuild after a fire ripped through his golf shop last month, causing more than $200,000 worth of damage.

Golf bags burned to shreds and gulf clubs were made useless after a fire ripped through the Tee to Green golf shop on U.S. Highway 64 on Oct. 23. The owners said they didn’t have a smoke detector installed anywhere inside the shop, which is why the store was a total loss.

“We’re in tears every time we leave this place or come in because it’s basically been our lives for the last 20 years,” co-owner Rick Sitzer said.

The Tee to Green golf facility built by Sitzer and his business partner is now unrecognizable after the electrical fire.

“We’re in the top 100 club fitters in the nation with Golf Digest and we’ve got plenty of awards in there that have actually been burned up,” Sitzer said.

The owners discovered the fire at the shop after a security alarm went off during the early morning hours on Oct. 23. Firefighters rushed to the scene, but the fire had already caused significant damage by time they arrived.

With no word from the insurance company on when they’ll be back to even par, Sitzer said he and his business partner have no choice but to keep their doors closed.

“I always joked that I didn’t know if it was keeping us alive or killing us and right now it’s killing us,” he said.

Community members have started a fundraiser to help Tee to Green and have already raised $2,200 in five days.