Local News

Oven malfunction forces brief evacuation at Wake Forest elementary school

Posted November 25, 2019 12:14 p.m. EST
Updated November 25, 2019 4:46 p.m. EST

— A small explosion in the kitchen prompted the evacuation Monday morning of Jones Dairy Elementary School in Wake Forest.

A malfunction blew out the side panel of a gas stove, a Wake Forest spokesman said, and school leaders evacuated the building as a precaution.

It was later determined that there was no danger to students or staff, a Wake County schools spokeswoman said.

Fire officials say the small blast did not cause a fire. A repairman was called in to fix the problem. No one was hurt, and students and staff were back inside by noon.

Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.