One teen cleared, second teen charged in daycare fire
Posted May 26, 2010 10:26 a.m. EDT
Updated May 26, 2010 12:00 p.m. EDT
Clayton, N.C. — Charges have been dropped against a 13-year-old in connection with an April 5 fire that destroyed a daycare under construction, and a 14-year-old was charged in the same case last week.
The 13-year-old was taken into custody after the fire at the Building Blocks Childcare, 55 Hawkesburg Drive. Clayton police referred further questions about the case to the Johnston County District Attorney's Office.
Clayton police are investigating a string of arsons in which six homes, the day care and a school bus have been set on fire since the end of last October. The buildings were all under construction.
Police did not say what connection the 14-year-old may have to the arsons.
"The action may enhance further investigative efforts into all of the arson fires that have occurred over the past seven months," Chief Glen B. Allen said in a statement Wednesday.
Police have said that the 13-year-old was in secure custody when the most recent fires happened on May 2.
A reward of up to $20,000 has be offered for information that leads to an arrest in connection with the arson fires. Anyone who observed suspicious activity or has other information about the fire should call Clayton police at 919-553-4611 or Clayton Crime Stoppers at 919-359-8479.
Suspicious Clayton fires