Local News

Officials: Unattended candle started Durham apartment fire

Posted February 15, 2019 5:01 a.m. EST
Updated February 15, 2019 10:06 a.m. EST

— An unattended candle lit a couch and started a fire in a third-floor apartment in Durham on Friday morning, officials said.

No one was in the unit, at Arium Pinnacle Ridge Apartment Homes, when the fire broke out at 1:40 a.m.

The apartment complex is at 3611 University Drive.

Fire officials said there was “significant damage to the unit.”

Two residents and a neighbor had to stay elsewhere because of damage to their apartments.