Nightclub loses ABC permit after fatal shooting
Posted June 9, 2010 12:53 p.m. EDT
Updated September 4, 2010 8:07 a.m. EDT
Middlesex, N.C. — A Middlesex mini-mart that turns into a nightclub has lost its alcohol permit after a man was shot to death during a fight around closing time last month, authorities said.
Juan Torres, owner of the Provocon Mini Food Mart, voluntarily surrendered his permit from the Alcoholic Beverage Committee amid the investigation of the May 9 shooting death of Gregorio Rodriguez Delgadillo, 27, of Zebulon.
Alcohol Law Enforcement agents "found clear evidence that the owner was failing to supervise activities at his store and, therefore, was in violation of his ABC permit," police Chief Charles Ferrell said.
The town has also changed its ordinances to keep businesses like a mini-mart from operating as a nightclub and to make sure such businesses close earlier, Ferrell said.
"As a result, we hope to have fewer problems in Middlesex," he said.
Ferrell said that a fight started in the Provocon nightclub and spilled out into the parking lot. At least seven shots were fired, and Delgadillo was shot five times, including once at close range, the police chief said. No arrests have been made.
Torres was out of the country when the shooting occurred, authorities said. When he returned and learned that ALE was issuing him a citation to appear in court, he surrendered his permits, authorities said.