Perdue: Flights investigation won't find crimes
Posted October 4, 2010 12:08 p.m. EDT
Updated October 4, 2010 2:49 p.m. EDT
RALEIGH, N.C. — North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue said Monday that she can’t explain what happened with her campaign reports but still feels confident a state investigation will find no criminal wrongdoing.
The governor said Monday that staff on The Bev Perdue Committee will cooperate with the State Bureau of Investigation and Wake County District Attorney Colon Willoughby, who initiated the review after the State Board of Elections fined the campaign $30,000 in August.
Willoughby said Friday there were still some unanswered questions, but his concerns don’t involve Perdue specifically.
Perdue’s campaign failed to report more than 40 flights aboard donors' planes during the 2004 and 2008 gubernatorial campaigns that it said were uncovered during an internal review.
State law prohibits corporate contributions to candidates and limits individual donations to $4,000 during an election.
Since last year, Perdue's campaign has filed several amended campaign finance reports, reflecting some of the flights as in-kind donations and reimbursing other donors for the value of the flights.
Perdue said Monday that she didn’t manage the mechanics of the campaign office but acknowledges mistakes were made.