Wrapping Up, Some More Still to Come
Posted October 23, 2006 1:19 p.m. EDT
I have several things to wrap-up my Fair blogging, but first some general impressions:
1. The Fair employees were friendly and helpful -- score one for Powers. Rides went out now and again, but there weren't massive outages. And aside from the last Saturday the fairgrounds themselves and the little garden seating areas were being kept up and looked very nice.
2. Some of the ride lines were unbelievable, especially on Saturday.
3. Hint: the bathrooms at Village of Yesteryear seem to have constantly-long lines. Meanwhile the bathrooms at the new Exhibition Hall (where the old Red Cross building used to be) had no lines at all.
4. I don't understand how the rides are broken up between the old and new midway. The old midway needs something special to show its "character." What, I have no idea. The Crazy Mouse doesn't hurt.
5. Military Appreciation Day was a little disappointing; the bands did not have a good place to perform since the grandstand was so muddy. Perhaps if they have to perform near Dorton Arena next time, let them move back a little so a) they're not in the sun and b)spectators have a place to sit out of the walkway?
6. Despite some marginal weather, the 2006 NC State Fair still managed to set two attendance records. Awesome. Just 364 days or so until the next one!