Alleged murder plot was jailhouse talk, attorney says
Posted December 1, 2010 12:06 p.m. EST
Updated December 1, 2010 2:41 p.m. EST
Raleigh, N.C. — The attorney for a Raleigh man accused in a murder-for-hire plot told a judge Wednesday it was all jailhouse talk.
Tyler Wayne Callihan, 43, was indicted on Tuesday on a charge of solicitation to commit murder, after Wake County Sheriff’s investigators say he sought out Dashon Crudup in October to kill his ex-wife.
During a bond hearing Wednesday, defense attorney Deonte Thomas told Superior Court Judge Ripley Rand that there was no plot.
Callihan had been in jail at the time on a charge of failure to pay child support, Thomas said, and Crudup, 20, was trying to get his own charges reduced.
Crudup is in jail on first-degree murder and felony drug charges.
Callihan remained in the Wake County jail Wednesday under a reduced bond of $1.5 million.
Documents filed last month in civil court indicate that Callihan and his wife, Sandra Callihan, have two children and were divorced in 2006.
Wake County Sheriff’s Office investigators have declined to comment on the case.
Callihan’s family and ex-wife were in court Wednesday. None of them wanted to comment on the case.