Local News

Wilmington to star in another motion picture

Posted October 18, 2010 6:49 p.m. EDT
Updated October 19, 2010 11:19 a.m. EDT

— A movie set to begin production this month in North Carolina means jobs and millions of dollars for the state’s economy, Gov. Beverly Perdue said Monday.

New Line Cinema will spend five months in Wilmington filming “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island,” which stars Michael Caine and Dwayne Johnson, formerly known as “The Rock.”

“A major motion picture means more than the excitement of celebrities and special effects,” Perdue said in a news release. “It means jobs – hundreds of them. This production will also bring millions of dollars in spending into our economy and millions of dollars in earned tourism promotion, when North Carolina is showcased on the big screen.”

The state Revenue Department says movie and TV projects spent $148 million in 2008 in North Carolina, and $55 million in 2009.

"Journey 2" is expected to qualify for a film incentives package that Perdue signed into law earlier this year. It offers a 25 percent tax credit for companies that spend a minimum of $250,000 in production costs.

The film is about a teenager who sets out on a mission with his mother’s boyfriend to find his grandfather, who is thought to be missing on a mythical island, according to Internet Movie Database.

It’s slated to be released next September.

The Wilmington area is no stranger to the big screen. For years, it’s served as the filming spot for movies and TV series, including “Sleeping With the Enemy,” “Weekend at Bernie’s,” “Dawson’s Creek” and “One Tree Hill.”