Serial bank robber sought in Triangle
Posted October 2, 2010 6:14 p.m. EDT
Updated October 5, 2010 4:28 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — Authorities are looking for a serial bank robber, who they believe robbed six Triangle banks in a little more than a week.
The latest robbery happened at about 3 p.m. Saturday at a SunTrust Bank inside a Kroger store at 7905 Falls of Neuse Road in Raleigh. Police said he passed a note to the teller demanding money.
The same man is suspected of robbing five other banks in Raleigh and Durham, starting last nine days ago, including Wednesday, according to police. In four cases, the robber used a note to demand money.
The suspect is described as a black man, 35 to 50 years old, about 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall, with a stocky build and dark complexion. He has a beard and mustache. In the Saturday's robbery, he was wearing a dark blue, plaid shirt, blue jeans, white tennis shoes, a black hat with a white or silver logo, and large-framed sunglasses.
In addition to Saturday's robbery, police suspect the man committed robberies at
- SunTrust Bank at 1231 University Drive in Durham on Sept. 24
- SunTrust Bank inside a Harris Teeter, at 1817 Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway in Durham on Sept. 25
- Wood Forest bank inside a Walmart at 10500 Glenwood Ave. in Raleigh on Sept. 26
- SunTrust Bank at 3421 N. Roxboro Road in Durham on Sept. 28
- SunTrust bank inside a Kroger store at 8345 Creedmoor Road in Raleigh on Sept. 29
The man is also suspected in another bank robbery in August 2009.
Detectives believe he may live in the Greensboro area.
Anyone with information about the hold-ups or the suspected robber is asked to call the FBI in Raleigh at 919-380-4500, Raleigh Crime Stoppers at 919-834-HELP or Durham Crime Stoppers at 919-683-1200.
The North Carolina Bankers Association is offering a reward for information leading to an arrest.