Local News

Siler City standoff ends with man's death

Posted September 29, 2010 10:51 a.m. EDT
Updated September 29, 2010 6:32 p.m. EDT

— A standoff between Chatham County deputies and an armed man in Siler City that lasted almost 24 hours ended Wednesday afternoon when deputies found the man dead inside his home, authorities said.

Deputies tried to serve warrants on Jason Arthur Teleki, 38, at his home on Green Hill Drive at about 6 p.m. Tuesday when Teleki barricaded himself in the house.

The warrants charged Teleki, a registered sex offender, with first-degree sex offense and indecent liberties with a child, authorities said.

Deputies fired tear gas into the house late Tuesday, and when they tried to force their way inside the house around midnight, Teleki opened fire on them, said Maj. Gary Blankenship of the Chatham County Sheriff's Office. The deputies then returned fire as they backed out of the house, he said.

One bullet hit a deputy's protective shield, but no one was injured, authorities said.

Together with Siler City police, state Highway Patrol troopers, State Bureau of Investigation agents and Randolph County deputies, Chatham County deputies surrounded the house, evacuated nearby residences and blocked off nearby streets while they tried to negotiate with Teleki to resolve the standoff, authorities said.

Authorities sent a robotic device from the SBI's bomb squad into the house early Wednesday, Blankenship said, but no movement was detected inside after the exchange of gunfire.

On Wednesday afternoon, the Chatham County Sheriff's Office obtained a warrant to place a fiber-optic camera inside the house. The camera showed Teleki lying on a bed, and authorities said he appeared to be dead.

Members of the Special Incident Response Team entered the house at about 3:15 p.m. and found Teleki dead of an apparent gunshot wound to the head.

Authorities wouldn't say whether Teleki committed suicide or whether a gun was found near his body. His body was sent to the State Medical Examiner's Office for an autopsy.

The SBI is investigating the case.

Teleki served 19 months in prison for a 1992 conviction on an indecent liberties charge, according to the North Carolina Sex Offender Registry.