Local News

One dead, one injured in Wilson domestic dispute

Posted August 9, 2010 1:21 p.m. EDT
Updated August 9, 2010 6:10 p.m. EDT

— One person was killed Monday morning and a second was taken to a hospital following a domestic shooting and wreck in Wilson that closed a major intersection for much of the day, authorities said.

Police were called to the 600 block of Whitehead Avenue at about 10:45 a.m. in response to shots being fired in a domestic dispute.

Mary Barberio said she saw a man and a woman put a young child in the back of BMW across the street from her house. Then, she said, the man grabbed a gun an forced the woman out of a nearby Range Rover.

"I heard three gunshots (and) looked out the window, and the guy was grabbing the girl out of the car," Barberio said. "You could see him grabbing her by the hair, getting her out of the truck putting her into (the BMW)."

Nearby residents said the man fired several more times before driving off.

"He just started shooting and shooting and shooting. Then, he made her get in the car – just like five shots let off – and she's screaming for dear life," said another neighbor, who asked not to be identified.

Officers finally caught up with the BMW near the intersection of Forest Hills Road and Ward Boulevard, where police said more shots were fired.

Marshall Tant said he saw a patrol car with sirens blaring come up behind him as he approached the intersection.

"I didn't realize he was following or chasing another car, and all of a sudden, I heard one small pop and then, all of a sudden, pop, pop, pop – a different kind of sound," Tant said. "I didn't know what was happening. It happened so fast."

The BMW continued through the intersection and collided with a passenger van and an SUV, police said. After the wreck, authorities said, one person in the BMW was dead and a second was airlifted to Pitt Memorial Hospital.

Tant said he saw police take a young child from the car.

No one in the passenger van or the SUV was injured, police said.

The State Bureau of Investigation was called to assist with the investigation.

Traffic was rerouted around the intersection, which authorities kept closed until almost 6 p.m.