DOT to look into improvements for U.S. 1 in Sanford
Posted July 12, 2010 9:03 p.m. EDT
Updated July 12, 2010 11:53 p.m. EDT
Sanford, N.C. — The North Carolina Department of Transportation plans to review U.S. 1 in Sanford after several wrecks caused by people traveling the wrong way.
Accidents have happened at three different intersections over a span of three miles along the stretch of road.
The first happened in September 2008 after the state opened the U.S. Highway 421 Bypass. Police said Janie Mabe Hardy, 80, was traveling north in the southbound lane of U.S. Highway 1 when her car collided with another vehicle.
Harby was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the other vehicle, Mark Thomas Levitt, 27, was injured.
The next accident happened last May near the Wicker Street intersection. Police said Lee County High School junior Josh Britt was killed when he slammed into a car heading the wrong way on U.S. Highway 1. The driver of the other car, Anthony Boswell, 48, also died in the wreck.
Last week, nine people were injured in a wreck on U.S. 1 near Keller-Andrews Road when two vans collided.
Angela Greenfield, an N.C. DOT spokeswoman, said Monday that engineers are looking at reports from the accidents.
Greenfield said she doesn't believe U.S. 1 will need improvements, but acknowledges that could change depending on the investigations.