Local News

Nifong's former investigator in domestic dispute

Linwood Wilson worked for Mike Nifong during the prosecution of three Duke University lacrosse players in 2006 and 2007.

Posted Updated

DURHAM, N.C. — A divorce between the chief investigator for Durham County's former district attorney and his wife has yielded criminal charges in Delaware.

Linwood Wilson worked for Mike Nifong, who served as the chief prosecutor for the state's 14th Judicial District from 2005 until he resigned in 2007 over his improper handling of rape allegations against three Duke University lacrosse players that proved to be unsubstantial.

Wilson, 61, allegedly violated a June 8 protective order sought by his wife in Kent County, Del. He is charged with stalking and two felony charges of obscenity, in addition to other harassment charges.

Delaware authorities asked Durham County to arrest him after, they say, he sent her e-mails, graphic videos, photos and an instant message asking her to remember "to death do we part."

Wilson was free on a $1,000 bond Friday and scheduled to appear in court Monday morning. He had no comment on the case and referred all questions to his attorneys.

"It is not uncommon for there to be outrageous allegations made during a divorce," his divorce attorney, Cheri Patrick, said, but she declined to comment on the arrest.

Fred Battaglia, who is representing him on the criminal charges, did not return calls seeking comment.

According to the release order, Judge David Q. LaBarre changed Wilson’s bond over the telephone after Wilson called him asking for help.

LaBarre said Wilson told him he was being arrested on a domestic violence charge but that he didn't know about the other charges when he set a bond that would allow Wilson out of custody.

The protective order also prohibits Wilson from being in possession of a gun or other deadly weapon, but earlier this month, Superior Court Judge Ronald Stephens stayed the order until August for jurisdiction issues to be resolved.

Wilson was hired as a part-time investigator in the district attorney's office in December 2005 and was chief investigator from October 2006 until June 2007. He was dismissed after Nifong was disbarred and resigned from his position.


Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.