Local News

Soldier tells wife of attacks at Kandahar air base

Posted May 23, 2010 8:37 p.m. EDT
Updated May 24, 2010 4:23 p.m. EDT

— The Taliban have claimed responsibility for Saturday's assault on NATO's main military base in southern Afghanistan. No one was killed in the nighttime rocket and mortar attack, but a number of soldiers and civilians were wounded.

More than 20,000 people live and work at the Kandahar Air Base, including Army Staff Sgt. Leon Bunker. His wife and two daughters live near Cameron and keep tabs on the Fort-Bragg based soldier through Internet chats.

“Having that communication is just more than I can describe,” Melissa Bunker said Sunday.

Bunker said her husband has not been injured by the Taliban attacks but has come under fire recently. He even had to get off the Internet quickly last week due to a rocket assault.

“After about an hour, Leon came back to the computer and said, ‘Hey, I’m still OK, everything's fine. Just giving you a heads up to let you know that I’m OK,'" Melissa Bunker recalled. "That is the most comforting thing that anybody could ever give you."

The Saturday attack against Kandahar base was the second ground assault on a NATO installation this week.

Leon Bunker, who works as a combat engineer, is scheduled to return to the U.S. in a couple months.