Local News

Wake Forest house fire started by hot lawnmower, debris

Fire investigators say a fire at a Wake Forest home on Friday afternoon appeared to have started when a recently used lawnmower was put away under the deck.

Posted Updated

WAKE FOREST, N.C. — Fire investigators say a fire at a Wake Forest home Friday afternoon appeared to have started when a recently used lawnmower was put away under the deck.

The fire was reported just before 5 p.m. at 12725 Powell Road.

Officials said the heat from the lawnmower ignited nearby combustible debris, including pine straw.

Wake County Fire Marshall Charles Ottaway said people should be mindful of how and where they store their lawnmowers after using them.

The family's teen son was home at the time of the fire but was saved by neighbor Mark Urban who saw fire and smoke billowing from the home.

"When I looked at it, the deck was just engulfed in flames," Urban said. "I ran out to the driveway, yelling to anybody for help."

Ken Thorne stopped to help.

"The glass door in the back was keeping the fire in the back," Thorne said. "All of a sudden. that just exploded and blew glass and fire toward the front of the house."

Urban said the teen was upstairs taking a shower and came downstairs in a towel when he heard people yelling.

"The flames followed him down the steps," Urban said.

Urban said he does not consider himself a hero. He is just relieved the boy got out of the house safely.

The family's two dogs remain missing.

Image

 Credits

Ken Smith, Reporter
Mark Simpson, Photographer
Kathy Hanrahan, Web Editor

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.