Local News

Teen charged in day-care fire could face more charges

Authorities charged a 13-year-old boy on Tuesday with setting fire last week to a Clayton day care that was under construction.

Posted Updated

CLAYTON, N.C. — Clayton's police chief said Wednesday that investigators haven't ruled out more charges against a teenager accused of setting fire to a day care last week.

Authorities on Tuesday charged the 13-year-old boy, whose name wasn't released, with one felony count each of burning of a building under construction and breaking and entering.

They stem from a fire just before 4 a.m. on April 5 at Building Blocks Child Care, at 55 Hawkesburg Drive – the same area where, in recent months, fires destroyed or damaged five houses that were under construction.

Police Chief Glen Allen said investigators believe the cases could be related, but he wouldn't say if the boy is a suspect in those cases.

"I can say that we are continuing the investigation into the other arson cases, but he has not been charged in those fires," Allen said.

Investigators are still looking for tips in those cases, and Allen asked that anyone with information to call police at 919-553-4611 or Clayton Crime Stoppers at 919-359- 8479.

Investigators said the teen sneaked out of his house during the night and drove the family car to the area of the fire before returning home in the pre-dawn hours.

Image

 Credits

Mike Charbonneau, Reporter
Kelly Gardner, Web Editor

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.