Local News

Shooting suspect found hiding in beauty salon after chase

Posted April 8, 2010 12:36 p.m. EDT
Updated April 9, 2010 7:38 a.m. EDT

— The North Carolina State Highway Patrol filed charges Thursday against the suspect in a Rocky Mount robbery and shooting who led a state trooper on a chase, then hid in a beauty salon Wednesday.

Bernard Terrance Javar Blue, 31, of Wilson, led a state trooper on a 5-mile chase along U.S. Highway 301 South in Wilson at speeds of up to 80 mph, authorities said. Blue ditched his car and tried to hide in the ceiling of a nearby beauty salon before troopers arrested him.

The Highway Patrol charged Blue with speeding, felony speeding to elude arrest, careless and reckless driving, driving with a revoked license, failure to yield for blue lights and a siren, failure to yield for a stop sign, traveling the wrong way on a multilane road and resisting, delaying or obstructing justice.

Blue was placed in the Wilson County Jail under a $305,000 bond.

He was wanted by Rocky Mount police on three counts of first-degree kidnapping, two counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon and one count each of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and possession of a firearm by a felon.

Investigators believe that Blue and Deonta Bridgers, 20, of Bailey, shot Keith Sharpe, 31, and William Battle IV, 23, on Dec. 29, 2009. Martha Sharpe, 49, who was also in the home, was threatened but wasn't injured.

Bridgers was arrested on one count of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, two counts of armed robbery and three counts of first-degree kidnapping. He was given a $150,000 bond.

Another man, Tykii Andrew Woodard, 19, of Wilson, was charged with aiding in the shooting. Woodard faces two counts each of aiding and abetting armed robbery and possession of a stolen firearm. He was given a $30,000 bond.

Blue has a history of dealing drugs in Wilson and Johnston counties, according to state Department of Correction records. He finished a 3½-year sentence for 28 drug convictions in September 2008.