Two rescued from Angier apartment fire
Posted March 29, 2010 1:19 a.m. EDT
Updated April 1, 2010 2:01 p.m. EDT
Angier, N.C. — Firefighters and police officers rescued a man and woman from a burning apartment building in Angier late Sunday.
Angier Fire Chief Chris Hendges said that the fire started in a second-floor apartment at 28 N. Broad St. around 10 p.m. The building also houses several businesses.
Resident Krystie Walvatne said that she was trapped in her apartment by the fire.
"I heard a crackling sound and like a pop. I went to the front door, tried to look out the peephole window of the door, and it was black," she said. "I opened the door and saw smoke and closed it and ran to the window."
Wavatne said that police knocked on her window and pulled her out the window. Authorities used a ladder truck to rescue Walvatne and a man, Hendges said.
No one was hurt in the fire, but residents, including Walvatne, were displaced.
The cause of the fire hasn't been determined.