Local News

Woman burned in Creedmoor apartment fire

Posted March 4, 2010 2:21 p.m. EST
Updated March 4, 2010 7:23 p.m. EST

— One woman was injured Thursday afternoon in an apartment fire in Creedmoor, authorities said.

Flames and smoke poured from the roof of one building in the Granville Oaks Apartments complex, on Watershed Way, as firefighters from Granville County fought the blaze. The heat from the fire warped the vinyl siding on the building, and much of the upper floor was left in ruins.

Firefighters hadn't determined the cause of the fire as of Thursday evening, but apartment manager Sharon Ladd said a resident who had an oxygen tank in her apartment lit a cigarette, sparking the fire.

An unidentified woman suffered facial burns in the fire and was taken to the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill for treatment. Her condition was unknown Thursday evening.

About 25 people lived in the eight apartments in the building that burned, Ladd said. Only two other people were home at the time of the fire.

"I'm grateful I wasn't inside and nobody was inside to get hurt," resident Ione McShaw said.

McShaw said she was at work in Henderson when her son called and told her that her apartment was on fire.

Someone in an adjacent apartment building saw the flames and reported the fire.

"It is what it is. It'll work out," McShaw said. "Furniture and clothes can be replaced. I'm blessed in that respect that I have a good support system – lots of friends (and my) church."

The American Red Cross was helping the 21 residents displaced by the fire with food, clothing and medication and provided emergency shelter to two families, said Toby Barfield, executive of the Central North Carolina chapter.