Raleigh man faces $1 million bond for car break-ins
Posted November 27, 2009 12:33 p.m. EST
Updated November 27, 2009 7:54 p.m. EST
Wake Forest, N.C. — A Raleigh man was being held at the Wake County jail on $1 million bond Friday on charges he broke into and removed property from dozens of cars in the Wake Forest area.
Marcus Brown, 25, faces 70 charges of breaking and entering and one charge of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. According to court documents, Brown fired on one car owner who caught him in the act.
Brown was out on bond for another crime at the time of his arrest, police said. His next court appearance is Dec. 17.
Police said 32 cars were broken into last month in Wake County. Many the victims' cars were left unlocked.
William Nieves, of Wake Forest, said he was heading out for his morning coffee when he found his vehicle broken into.
“I just thought it was kids playing around and trying to get some little extra change to buy some candy and stuff like that, but unfortunately it turned out to be something major,” Nieves said.
A portable GPS device was stolen from Laura Sullivan's minivan. She said hearing that Brown was armed made the theft even scarier.
“We have so many kids in the neighborhood,” Sullivan said Friday.