Fire forces Raleigh mayor from home
Raleigh Mayor Charles Meeker and his wife, Dr. Anne McLaurin, were staying with friends Tuesday after an electrical fire damaged their house at 324 S. Boylan Ave.Posted — Updated
Although the fire was contained to a storage room, the 2,831-square-foot home sustained smoke damage. The incident report said about 10 percent of the home was damaged.
The mayor said he was eating dinner at about 9 p.m. and had some power surges. It was then that he realized his home was on fire.
"I went into the television room, and I could see smoke and flames in the adjoining storage room. I opened the door and the flames shot up," Meeker said.
A student whom McLaurin tutors was visiting at the time and made the call to 911. Meeker said he doesn't know why the student identified himself as "Charles" to a dispatcher.
Firefighters saw light smoke coming from the house when they arrived, and 25 firefighters brought the flames under control in 13 minutes, according to the incident report.
Meeker said he is grateful he was home at the time and that the fire, which likely started at an electrical outlet, was quickly extinguished.
No one was injured in the fire.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.