Nine in running for open Wake school board seat
Posted July 20, 2009 4:17 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — Nine people have filed as candidates to replace Rosa Gill on the Wake County school board, a district spokesman said Monday.
Gill, the representative of District 4 on Raleigh's east side, had been the chairwoman of the board until she resigned to serve out the remainder of Rep. Dan Blue's term in the state House of Representatives. Blue, D-Wake, moved to the state Senate after the April death of Sen. Vernon Malone, D-Wake.
The board will meet Tuesday to discuss how to interview the candidates. Board members expect to make a selection within a month.
The candidates are:
- Venita Peyton, broker in charge at Daymark Realty/Coastal Federal Credit Union
- Keith Sutton, manager of the legislative affairs program at the state Department of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
- Jonica Rowland, an insurance agent selling life and health policies
- Alice Garrett, former principal at Carroll Middle School
- Lynette Aytch, director of North Carolina Partnership for Children
- Lillian Lee, former administrator at Rolesville Elementary School
- Samuel Greene, former principal at West Millbrook Middle School
- Doris Burke, a retired teacher
- Johnnie Darden Sr., a minister and businessman