Puppy training tips
Posted July 18, 2009 8:46 a.m. EDT
Updated July 18, 2009 8:51 a.m. EDT
Molly Stone, animal behavior specialist for the Wake County SPCA, shared these tips on how to train your puppy.
- Every interaction is an opportunity for your puppy to learn.
- Socialize your puppy around lots of other people and dogs.
- Remember that puppies repeat the behaviors that are the most rewarding.
- Remember that learning requires pattern recognition, so be consistent!
- Be trustworthy and benevolent. Puppies cannot learn well when they’re frightened.
- Give your puppy a good reason to comply with your requests. “Because-I-said-so” is usually not good enough.
- Make a list of your puppy’s five favorite things, and use those as training rewards. Rewards work best when they’re things puppies really value.
- Accentuate the positive. Take advantage of every opportunity to praise your puppy for getting it right.
- Make sure your expectations are realistic, and avoid trying to teach too much at once.
- Set your puppy up to succeed in every situation.