Local News

N.C. confirms six new cases of H1N1

Posted June 3, 2009 4:28 p.m. EDT
Updated June 4, 2009 12:34 p.m. EDT

— Six new cases of the H1N1 virus were confirmed in North Carolina Wednesday, bringing the total number statewide to 29.

A student at Reedy Creek Middle School in Cary, a Johnston County teenager and a Seymour Johnson officer are among the newest cases, according to health officials.

Parents of Reedy Creek students were notified of the H1N1 virus case, also known as swine flu, via voice message Wednesday afternoon, Wake County Schools spokesman Michael Evans said.

“I was terrified really because I’d heard so much about it,” said Tabatha House, parent of Reedy Creek student.

The student, who was not identified, is recovering at home, Evans said. Those who had close contact with the infected student have also been notified.

“We’re doing all we can,” said Lawrence Jackson, Reedy Creek principal.

Jackson tried to reassure parents at a Parent Teacher Association meeting Wednesday evening. He said staff stepped up school cleaning when the first H1N1 case was reported in North Carolina.

“We took steps with our cleaning staff to make sure on a daily basis, they were cleaning doors, door handles, door knobs, these types of things,” Jackson said.

The school, at 930 Reedy Creek Road, was thoroughly sanitized Wednesday evening, but some parents said they were still worried.

“I think the school needs to be thoroughly cleaned for a day or two, and kids can resume school maybe next week,” House said.

Others parents said they believe the students will be OK to return Thursday.

“You know, it's just one child out of all the kids here,” parent Rebekah Hotelling said.

Evans offered the following advice for parents and school staff concerned about the H1N1 virus:

  • Parents should monitor their school-aged children, and faculty and staff should self-monitor.
  • Students, faculty and staff who appear to have a flu-like illness at arrival or who become ill during the day should be kept separate from other students and sent home.
  • If you develop flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, etc.), please stay at home, except to seek medical care. Please contact your medical provider if you are sick.
  • Sick students should not attend alternative childcare or congregate in other locations.
  • Practice good health manners such as washing your hands with soap and water often or using hand sanitizer and covering your mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.

Due to the new H1N1 case, Wake Technical Community College has canceled Wednesday evening classes held at Reedy Creek Middle School.

Johnston County teen with H1N1 virus

The Johnston County Public Health Department said Wednesday that a teenager, who does not attend public or private school, tested positive for the H1N1 virus.

Health officials are working to determine who might have been exposed before the infected teen began showing symptoms. Officials said they will be notifying anyone who may have had close contact.

Seymour Johnson officer with H1N1 virus

A case of H1N1 virus was confirmed Wednesday in Wayne County. An active-duty officer assigned to the 4th Fighter Wing of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base was treated for swine flu symptoms, officials said.

"We are taking the necessary precautions to educate and safeguard military and civilian personnel, as well as family members," Col. Stephen Higgins, 4th Medical Group commander, said in a statement.

State with 29 H1N1 cases

North Carolina now has 29 confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus, with six of those added Wednesday.

Two days ago, a 42-year-old Wake County woman, who had began displaying flu-like symptoms last week, tested positive for the swine flu.

Last week, four elementary school-aged children in New Hanover County contracted swine flu. Cases have also been reported in Orange, Durham, Cumberland, Johnston and Onslow counties.

People with additional questions about H1N1 can call the State of N.C. Care Line at 1-800-662-7030 or go to the N.C. Division of Public Health Web site.

The number of swine flu cases worldwide has surpassed 19,000 after the United States reported over 1,000 new infections, the World Health Organization reports.